Albania accused Iran of launching a new cyber attack on computer systems used by state police on Friday.
Albania accused Tehran’s government of launching a new cyber attack on computer systems used by state police on Saturday.
“The computer systems of the National Police were attacked by a cyberattack on Friday, and according to preliminary information, the attackers were the same individuals who attacked the country’s public and government services in July,” said a statement issued by the Albanian Interior Ministry.
“In an effort to eliminate crime and protect the system,” the statement added, authorities had shut down computer control systems at seaports, airports and border posts.
Prime Minister Edi Rama confirmed that the new cyber attack was the same Iranian force that launched the attack on Albania in July.
“Another cyber attack by the same attackers, recorded on the TIMS system last night, has been exposed and condemned by friendly and allied countries in Albania! In the meantime, we will continue to work around the clock with our allies to bring our digital The system becomes indestructible,” Eddie Rama said.
Last week, Albania’s prime minister announced that Albania had severed diplomatic relations with Iran and expelled the country’s embassy staff following a massive cyber attack that hit the country in mid-July.
The cyber attack hit the servers of the National Information Society (AKSHI), which handles many government services. Most public-facing desktop services were disrupted, and only a few essential services (such as online tax filing) worked because they were served from non-targeted servers. Albania reported the attack to NATO members and other allies.
According to a statement released by the government, the damage may be considered insignificant compared to the threat actor’s target. The country’s embassy staff were asked to leave Albany within 24 hours.
Relations between Albania and Iran have soured since the Tirana government offered asylum to thousands of Iranian dissidents.
The US government issued a statement condemning Iran’s attack on Albania.
“The United States strongly condemns Iran’s cyberattack against our NATO ally Albania. We join Prime Minister Rama in calling on Iran to be held accountable for this unprecedented cyber incident. The United States will take further action to hold Iran accountable for actions that threaten the safety of our ally and Setting a troubling precedent for cyberspace,” said National Security Council spokeswoman Adrienne Watson. “We have come to the conclusion that the Iranian government carried out this reckless and irresponsible cyber attack and it is responsible for the subsequent hacking and leaks.”
NATO and the UK have also formally blamed the Iranian government for the cyberattack against Albania.
The U.S. Treasury Department has announced sanctions on Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence and Security (MOIS) and its intelligence minister in response to a cyberattack that hit Albania in July.
MOIS is the main intelligence agency of the Islamic Republic of Iran and a member of the Iranian intelligence community. It is also known as VAJA, formerly known as VEVAK (Vezarat-e Ettela’at va Amniyat-e Keshvar) or MOIS.
The Iranian government has denied it was behind the cyberattack and called Albania’s decision to sever diplomatic ties “an ill-considered and short-sighted act”.
“Iran, as one of the countries targeted by cyber attacks on its critical infrastructure, rejects and condemns any use of cyberspace as a tool to attack the critical infrastructure of other countries,” Iran’s foreign ministry said.
Follow me on Twitter: @securityaffairs and Facebook
(security affairs – Hacker, Albania)