Do not shop at Target without reading this article.
- Target offers a wide variety of products, often at affordable prices.
- There are several ways to save at Target, including signing up for a RedCard.
- Learning Target’s customs clearance codes and markdown schedule can also help you save money.
Target can be a really fun place to shop, and a place where you can get some great deals. However, if you want to get the most bang for your buck and reduce your credit card charges on your next Target run, there are some key secrets and strategies you should know. Here are four of them.
*Details accurate as of publication – October 26, 2022
1. Register the Target Red Card
Target shoppers can save a fortune with the Target Red Card. The Target Red Card offers 5% off Target stores and the company’s online site. You also get free two-day shipping on many items, as well as a longer return period so you don’t waste cash on invalid purchases.
Found: This Credit Card Has a Rare $300 Welcome Bonus
MORE: These 0% Introducing APR Credit Cards Are Our Best List
The best part about the Target Red Card is that you can choose how you sign up.You can apply for a Target Red Card, but if you want to no To use a credit card, you also have the option to sign up for a Target Red Card debit card. This will be linked to your existing checking account, so you don’t need to open a new bank account or get a new line of credit.
There’s no annual fee on any type of Target Red Card, so if you’re a target shopper, you should definitely take advantage of this additional savings opportunity.
2. Join TargetCircle
TargetCircle is a loyalty program that lets you get 1% off your purchases and take advantage of special offers only available to loyalty club members. TargetCircle members also receive a special birthday gift.
For those with a red card, you’ll continue to earn the standard 5% instead of TargetCircle’s 1%. But you can still take advantage of other benefits offered by joining this loyalty club.
Target has regular clearances, and some items are up to 90% off. Typically, stores are flagged about every two weeks when items are unsold. But how do you know when prices have hit rock bottom? It’s simple – you need to know how to decode the price tag.
First, the upper-right corner of Target’s clearance labels usually contains a small number that represents the discount percentage. This is usually 25, 50, 70 or 90. Second, prices for clearance items usually end at $0.88, $0.98, $0.48, $0.24, or $0.04. If the label says $0.04, it means it’s a final clearance item, so you should buy it whenever possible.
4. Learn about Target’s price reduction schedule
If you’re buying specific items, it’s also helpful to know when you’re most likely to get them at the best price. While this can vary by target location, most stores follow a predictable sales schedule and mark specific items on specific days. E.g:
- Accessories, books, baby products, children’s clothing, electronics and stationery are usually marked down on Mondays.
- Women’s clothing, pet supplies and groceries are usually on sale on Tuesdays.
- Diapers, health and beauty products, lawn and garden supplies, furniture and menswear typically drop on Wednesdays.
- Household goods, shoes, sporting goods, luggage and home decorations usually go on sale on Thursday.
- Jewelry, cosmetics, hardware, homewares and auto products were all on sale Friday.
By understanding this timeline, taking advantage of loyalty programs, and knowing how to read labels, you can save a lot on Target items. This will give you more money to achieve other important financial goals.
Warning: The highest cashback card we’re seeing right now has a 0% APR until 2024
It can cost you a lot of money if you use the wrong credit or debit card. Our experts love this top pick, which features a 0% introductory APR through 2024, an insane cashback rate of up to 5%, and all with no annual fee.
In fact, the card is so good that our experts even used it themselves. Click here to read our full review for free and apply in 2 minutes.
Read our free review